Grants and Capital Grants
Thank you for your interest in receiving a Grant Award this year. The information that follows provides the qualifications and requirements for submitting an application.
The Foundation will consider two types of grant requests:
Program Grants for a project that has a specific purpose and normally will be completed in one or two years. The maximum funding for these grants is $7,500.
Capital Grants to improve, expand, repair or construct facilities or purchase major equipment that supports the organization’s charitable activities. The maximum funding for these grants is $30,000.
An organization may choose to apply for either a Program Grant or a Capital Grant; however, if an application is submitted for a Capital Grant, a Program Grant application may NOT be submitted until after applicant has received notification of the decline of its Capital Grant application.
Qualifications and RequIrements for a Grant:
You must be a non-profit tax exempt organization as defined by section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code and must include a copy of your IRS Tax Exemption letter.
The grant request must be to partially or fully fund a project in the areas of arts, health and welfare and/or education.
Your organization is not eligible for a grant if:
- the beneficiaries of your project are not people within New Hanover, Pender and/or Brunswick counties.
- it operates as a private non-operating foundation.
- the application is for direct aid to individuals.
- the grant is primarily for operating expenses, such as administrative costs, general overhead, advertising or signage, principal and interest payments on debt.
- the grant is for costs of capital items already acquired or the purchase of real property.
- the grant is for a start-up organization (the date of your IRS determination letter must be two years before the date of submission of this application)
- it is engaged in any way in the promotion or advancement of political or religious beliefs.
- it will transfer any portion of a Landfall Foundation Grant Award to any other organization
- it is a local branch of a national organization with internal fundraising staff.
- it discriminates on the basis of age, disability, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, race or religion.
- the grant application is for research, feasibility studies or engineering and planning.
- it received a program grant award in the previous year and has not submitted a final or preliminary report by May 16, 2016.
- it received a capital grant award in the previous year.
The Foundation accepts one grant application from an organization. If there are multiple applications from the same organization, the organization’s director/principal decides which application to submit.
Check out the 2017 Program Grant Recipients.
program Grant Application PROCESS
One Program Grant application is accepted per year from an organization. The following process is required to apply:
- Organizations receiving a grant from the Landfall Foundation the previous year and re-applying this year, must complete and submit a Project Report to the Landfall Foundation by May 15th.
- Complete the Grant Application. (Grant applications are closed for 2017, applications will be available for 2018 grants in late February 2018).
- When the grant request is part of a larger project, the request should identify a specific area within the larger project.
- Mail six (6) copies of the application by US Postal Mail only, to the address indicated on the application which must be received by June 1.
- Organizations receiving grants for 2017 will be notified in October 2017. The awards will be made at a reception in November 2017.
For additional information or to request a form via mail, email, or fax, please contact the Grants Committee Co-Chair Ginger Wilson.
Capital Grant APPLICATION PROCESS
The Landfall Foundation considers Capital Grants for significant capital projects. Under Capital Grants, the last qualifying date for receipt of application is January 5th.
- Complete the Capital Grant Application (pdf format) or Capital Grant Application (word download)
- Mail six (6) copies, by US Postal Mail only, of:
- current 501(c)(3) tax-exempt letter
- financial report
- board of directors
- project budget for the project applied for in the application
- The application and documents must be received by the Landfall Foundation Capital Grants Committee no earlier than November 15th and no later than January 5th of the ensuing year.
- Applicants not selected for final review will be notified promptly (no later than February 15) to allow the applicant to submit a regular Foundation Grant Request.
- If selected for final review, the applicant may be notified to present to the subcommittee (not to exceed 30 minutes) followed by a site visit (if deemed appropriate).
- The subcommittee will present and request a vote of the full Board of the Foundation.
- No later than April 15th the Chair of the Subcommittee will inform the applicant of the outcome of this vote which is final and at the sole and absolute discretion of the Landfall Foundation Board of Directors. No appeal is available.
Ginger Wilson, Co-Chair
Karen Rogalski, Co-Chair
Muffy Pepper, Chair
Stephany Del re', Chair
HEALTH & WELFARE
Brenda Roark, Chair
Tom Thompson, Co-Chair
Ken Trojniar, Co-Chair